10 Important things to remember when switching your closet from Summer To Autumn:
- Neutrals are your BEST friend. They will never betray you, they will always compliment you, and they get along soo well with the rest of your closet. Neutrals carry over season to season but Autumn is their claim to fame.
- Plaid is still Fab. One thing I hope never goes out of style, plaid and flannel. Dress it up or dress it down. Layer or simpilize. Skirt or button down. It’s still cute.
- Boots. NOW. Whether you rock knee highs or little booties, now is the time to whip them out of the closet or splurge on a new pair. Just remember, getting the pair that’s a little more pricey will benefit you in this situation. Because if you’re like me, these need to last until at least February. But how great is it walking around in snow with the soles of your boots cracking and peeling off? Higher end boots will serve you well.
- Sweaters will always be the Sweetest. Have you ever had an item of clothing more forgiving than a sweater? Probably not. (And if you have I neeed to hear about it.) Sweaters look fantastic on every body type if you disagree with me on this one, I promise I’m right.
- Don’t quite quit whites. Whites and creams are praised in the winter. Just because Labor day is over doesn’t mean it’s time to pack those up. Sorry Stacey London, I just don’t agree with you on this one.
- Layers on layers. I mentioned this one before, but realized it was so important that it needed it’s own number. This is also where neutrals come in handy because layering+neutrals= warmth, style, and it’s much easier. Also NEVER disclude dresses from layering. Some of my favorite outfits came from layering the most random things over boring dresses. It sounds messy but trust me, it was incredible.
- Hold off on the shopping spree. I know I know, all the stores switched to fall and you’re ready to buy everything. But I promise you’ll be so much more grateful if hold onto that paycheck for just 2 more months (or less) when they bring out their winter collections. Autumn always is shorter than we expect or wish so save your money for the longest season of the year.
- Flow Mo’. Flowy dresses, shirts, kimonos, pants, basically everything. That’s the key to this fall. Easy right?
- Leather is sticking around. You’re in luck! Leather is here for yet another fall season so don’t pack up those leather pants. They’re definitely still in style. Try changing up what you wear with them. Sweaters are always a good fallback but BE ADVENTUROUS.
- Accessories. Ok last but definitely not least, accessories can easily make or break an outfit. and in the wise words of Coco Chanel, “Before leaving the house, a lady should look in the mirror and remove one accessory.” We want to simplify. Focus more on the clothing and less on adding every piece of gold jewelry that semi matches. Stick with your favorite statement bracelet and smaller earrings. Let your whole outfit do the talking instead of all your dangling accessories!
Jolene Renee Abram, Head Fashion Editor